"What I love is near at hand."

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 13:  To be a stay-at-home mom

You can bet this is something I thank my Heavenly Father for every day!  When I was growing up my mom was mostly a single, working mom.  Therefore, I was a "latch-key" kid.  I literally wore a key on a chain around my neck, and I would let myself into an empty apartment every day after school.  I hated it! I envied the other girls who went home to a mom with cookies waiting on the table.  I don't say this to make my own mother feel bad or to look bad.  It was just what she had to do at the time.  But this did instill in me the fact that I wanted something totally different for my children. 

I've been a stay-at-home mom for 20 years now.  The first two years of marriage (pre-babies) I worked full time, and then the next four years I worked part-time with my mom or Scott's mom watching Mikey and Greggy.  Then we had the great opportunity to move out of California to Arizona where we had no parents around to help with childcare.  I knew I wanted to be the one home with them every day, so this was my chance! 

I love being here when they come home, with cookies waiting.  I enoy being able to work in the classroom when needed. They love the occassional lunch dates we have. I appreciate that I don't have to rearrange my schedule when someone is sick.  I'm thankful that they don't have to come home to an empty, unsupervised home day in and day out.

I know this is a privilege, and it is one that I am most thankful for. 

1 comment:

stephanie said...

loved this, janeen! your boys are so lucky to have you.